This time of year means a lot of different things to a lot of people. Whether you celebrate and mark the festivities or not, chances are your life might be impacted by the comings and goings of others, at work, or by the general volume of people in the places you go! Maybe you feel pressure to buy gifts, maybe an increase in social gatherings and invitations has you feeling anxious, or perhaps you are feeling obligated to spend time with family or friends that are not conducive to great mental health?
Let’s turn the season of goodwill back to ourselves. In this post, we’re looking at some top tips for self-care…try some, make a list of your own, but importantly, remember yourself in the midst of everything else!!
Some dos and don’ts for self-care this holiday season:
- Do spend time doing something you love i.e, take time for you – you might find your best self hurtling down a snowboard slope, buried in a book or just taking a nap. Whatever it is, do the thing that helps you switch off for a moment.
- Do practice saying ‘no’ – If that social event is making you feel claustrophobic from three weeks away, turn it down. You can do so without it being a negative: “Thanks so much for thinking of me and for the invitation. I’m afraid I can’t make it, but I hope you have a great time.”
- Do use your time wisely. Spend time with those who help you nurture yourself. You want radiators, not drains.
- Don’t put yourself in debt trying to be everything to everyone and do everything for them. Set boundaries for yourself because your happiness matters too. Presents and gifts aren’t everything. If you want to give something, perhaps try an alternative to gift giving, swap books and/or recommendations with your favourite people – you’ll learn a lot about them by diving into their favourite book! Maybe make some playlists that represent your favourite people.
- Don’t let guilt win. If that family gathering will stress you out, make you sad or fill you with dread, see practising ‘no’!
The beauty of self-care is that you’re in charge. You call the shots! Some quick wins below, but let us know what your go-to is, we’d love to know!
- Read a book
- Take a nap
- Run a bath
- Do some exercise
- Eat your favourite snack
- See a friend
- Have a night in alone
- Watch a movie
- Listen to some music
- Write something – a note to a loved one or a letter to yourself